Applications are now being accepted for the 2016 Michael Geryk Piano Competition. Application and recording must be received by January 18, 2016.
Advanced piano students from within 80 kilometres of the Greater Hamilton Region are invited to compete for a $500 First Prize scholarship and a $250 Second Prize scholarship PLUS an opportunity for the winner to perform a concerto movement with the Cathedral Bluffs Symphony Orchestra.*
The competition will be a live performance of two contrasting works by up to four finalists judged by a panel of three. Finalists will be determined by a recorded performance preliminary round. There is no entry fee for the preliminary round.
The Duet Club will host the live performance Final competition at Melrose United Church (86 Homewood Avenue, Hamilton) on Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 2:30 pm. Up to four pianists will be selected to perform based on a preliminary competitive round made of recorded performances by the applicants.
*The invited pianist must demonstrate that he/she has a concerto movement sufficiently prepared and polished to rehearse and perform with full orchestra. CBSO reserves the right to require an additional audition, coaching session and/or withdraw the invitation to perform the concerto movement if the pianist is not sufficiently prepared.
• The applicant should submit a recording of his/her playing of solo piano music on CD, Compact Flash or SDD card, or video DVD by mail, OR on MP3 or similar submitted by email or a download service such as DropBox or YouTube.
• The recording must be of the applicant’s playing after April 1, 2015.
• The recording must include one of the works that will be played at the Final Competition (if the applicant qualifies).
• The recording should be at least 10 minutes and no longer than 20 minutes. If it is longer, the judges may not listen to any more than the first 20 minutes.
• Repertoire should be “classical” (not popular or jazz), in the sense of Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th or 21st century Classical. Unpublished works are not eligible.
• A high-quality recording is recommended.
Recordings must be delivered or emailed by January 18, 2016 to:
Geryk Memorial Competition
521 Kortright Rd. West
Guelph, ON N1G 3R5
MP3 or similar should be emailed to Ken Gee (see Contact email below).
Contact: Ken Gee at 519-993-7591 (Guelph) or email@example.com
Applicants who qualify for the Final Competition in February will be notified before the end of January.
For complete information click here: